I am excited to speak at the ACTION Project. I will be speaking 3 times on Asian American/Pacific Islander theology and also be on one panel.
Part 1-History: How Did We Get Here?
Part 2-Panelist-Shared Community
Part 3- Life and Faith – Through the Lenses of the Marginalized
Part 4- Solidarity – As Defined by Those on the Margins
Called the “ACTION Project,” this yearlong initiative involves congregations and individuals who are willing to make “A Commitment To Inclusion in Our Neighborhoods” (ACTION) Designed and guided by Rev. Jia Starr Brown (Associate Pastor at First Covenant Church), this extended journey involves commitment, listening, reflection, and action – all in one year. The fire hose of injustice, white supremacy, and institutional oppression continues to be penetrating and fierce. The need for courageous listening and learning has never been greater. While droves are now awakening to the unshakable reality for people living on society’s fringes, many are paralyzed and baffled about how to transition their new learning into action. It is the call of community leaders to provide opportunities for this critical social leap in order to bridge the gap of injustice. Education, if effective, should lead to action.
Beginning in October, participating congregations will join First Covenant Church Minneapolis in taking the IDI (Intercultural Diversity Inventory) in their own context, administered by Rev. Starr Brown. After receiving the assessment outcomes which provide the average cultural intelligence of each faith community, invitations will be provided every month for exploration, learning, discussion, and growth. Understanding that the IDI estimates 40-50 intentional contact hours are needed to shift on the spectrum, these events will provide opportunities and encouragement for this critical shift.
- An initial information session on Monday 11/2, 7:00PM-8:00PM
- 11/4-11/11 administration of the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) by Rev. Jia (assessment doesn’t take long to complete)
- A 2 hour training debriefing the results of the inventory and getting feedback on 11/17 at 7:00PM
- Online gathering every 4th Monday from 7:00PM-9:00PM with the other congregations engaging in The ACTION Project led by local activists and teachers beginning in November on 11/23.
- Weekly emails filled with articles, resources, and ways to engage publicly.
- 2021 reassessment of the IDI to see how you have grown over the year.