It was an honor to speak at the Second Annual Second Annual OIEX Diversity Lecture – “Justice and Shalom” and preach at Seattle Pacific University.
Last year, the Office of Inclusive Excellence launched the annual diversity lecture to bring thought leaders to campus who can inspire and challenge us to engage the theological, cultural, and institutional aspects of this work. This annual event is part of a larger effort to establish community rhythms that focus on learning together and living into our diversity commitments as a university.
- Rev. Dr. Mae Elise Cannon – Executive Director, Churches for Middle East Peace; Author, Beyond Hashtag Activism: Comprehensive Justice in a Complicated Age (2020)
- Rev. Dr. Grace Ji-Sun Kim – Professor of Theology, Earlham School of Religion; Author, Hope in Disarray: Piecing Our Lives Together in Faith (2020)
- Dr. Randy Woodley – Distinguished Professor of Faith and Culture; Director of Intercultural and Indigenous Studies, Portland Seminary, George Fox University; Author, Decolonizing Evangelicalism: An 11:59 p.m. Conversation (2020)
As we explore this year’s theme, “Justice and Shalom,” we seek to:
- practice grace-filled and spirit-led intercultural and ecumenical listening and, in doing so, seek a full understanding of God’s vision of Shalom for all people and all creation.
- explore the role of Christian orthodoxy, orthopraxy, and orthopathy in the work of justice.
- expand our imagination of what can be different coming out of this pandemic time and find application for our Gospel hope.
The 2021 Diversity Lecture will directly follow Chapel.
Chapel at SPU
CHAPEL ONLINE: Making Connections & Spiritual Rhythms
Every Tuesday at 10:30 a.m., during the quarter
Our SPU community in Seattle and beyond is invited to gather for worship every Tuesday at Chapel. You can watch live at 10:30 a.m. on the UMin YouTube Channel and by the weekly links below, or access the video at your convenience later in the week. This quarter our theme is “Stories of Harm, Healing, and Hope.”
Be sure to subscribe to the UMin YouTube channel for Chapel reminders and to stay up to date on all of UMin’s latest content.
Tuesday, February 2
Chapel in partnership with the Office of Inclusive Excellence
Speaker: Rev. Dr. Grace Ji Sun Kim, Professor of Theology, Earlham School of Religion
Video Link: Week 5 Chapel (launches on Tuesday at 10:30 a.m.)