I really love the Academy of Parish Clergy and was honored to be their speaker a few years back. The minister members are kind, gracious and amazing. Thank you Parish Clergy for the honor.
The Academy of Parish Clergy, Inc. proudly announces that the 2020 Book of the Year and Reference Book of the Year Awardees have been selected. These books and the following lists represent books published during 2019 and will be revealed at the 2020 Academy Annual Conference to be held in Chicago in late April of 2020. This year the Committee has selected Angela Williams Gorrell’s book Always On: Practicing Faith in a New Media, which was published by BakerAcademic (2019). Gorrell is Assistant Professor of Practical Theology at George W. Truett Seminary, Baylor University. The Book of the Year Award is given by the Academy of Parish Clergy to the book published in the prior year (2019) the committee believes best speaks to the needs and interests of parish clergy. In addition, the Academy presents the Reference Book of the Year Award to Warren Carter’s contribution on the Gospel of Mark in the Wisdom Commentary series from Liturgical Press (2019). This volume is the latest contribution to a larger commentary series that focuses on feminist interpretations of the Bible, with Barbara E. Reid, OP serving as General Editor. We honor both this volume and the larger series in which it is a contribution.
In addition to the Book of the Year and Reference Book of the Year awards, the Academy offers The Top Ten Book List for Parish Ministry. The committee members believe these ten books display excellence and helpfulness to clergy, who are encouraged to add the books to their libraries. The Top Ten list appears below, with the books listed alphabetically by author name. We also have selected five additional Reference Books to honor.
Recognition of these important contributions to the spiritual and professional development of religious professionals will be given in two Zoom events, as the 2020 Annual Conference of the Academy of Parish Clergy has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Book of the Year will be given to Angela Williams Gorrell on Tuesday evening, April 28th at 7:00 PM CDT (https://zoom.us/j/177754471). The Reference Book awardee, Warren Carter, will be honored, along with the Top Five Reference Books on Tuesday evening May 5th again at 7 PM CDT (https://zoom.us/j/816909757).
Book of the Year Committee: Robert Cornwall, FAPC, Chair; Stephen Hawkins, APC; and Jess Scholten, APC.
Book of the Year: Angela Williams Gorrell, Always On: Practicing Faith in a New Media Landscape, Baker Academic, 2019.
- Michael K. Girlinghouse, Embracing God’s Future without Forgetting the Past: A Conversation about Loss, Grief, and Nostalgia in Congregational Life, Fortress Press, 2019.
- Reuven Hammar, A Year with the Sages: Wisdom on the Weekly Torah Portion, Jewish Publication Society, 2019.
- Grace Ji-Sun Kim Reimagining Spirit: Wind, Breath, and Vibration, Cascade Books, 2019
- Bethany McKinney Fox, Disability and the Way of Christ: Holistic Healing in the Gospels and the Church, IVP Academic, 2019.
- Nancy J. Ramsay and Carrie Doehring, Editors, Military Moral Injury and Spiritual Care: A Resource for Religious Leaders and Professional Caregivers, Chalice Press, 2019.
- Andrew Root, The Pastor in a Secular Age: Ministry to People Who No Longer Need a God, BakerAcademic, 2019.
- Chris Smith, How the Body of Christ Talks: Recovering the Practice of Conversation in the Church, Brazos Press, 2019.
- Krin Van Tatenhove & Rob Mueller, Neighborhood Church: Transforming Your Congregation into a Powerhouse for Mission, Westminster John Knox Press, 2019.
- Steven Waldman, Sacred Liberty: America’s Long, Bloody, and Ongoing Struggle for Religious Freedom, Harper One
- Chanequa Walker-Barnes, I Bring the Voices of My People: A Womanist Vision for Racial Reconciliation, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2019.
Reference Book of the Year: Warren Carter, Mark: Wisdom Commentary (Volume 42), Liturgical Press, 2019.
Top Five Reference Book List:
- John Goldingay, The First Testament: A New Translation, IVP Academic, 2019.
- Veli-Matti Kärkkäinen, Christian Theology in the Pluralistic World: A Global Introduction, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2019.
- Jessica Miller Kelley, Compiler, A Preacher’s Guide to Lectionary Sermon Series: Thematic Plans for Years A, B, and C, (Volume 2), Westminister John Knox Press, 2019.
- F. Scott Spencer, Luke: The Two Horizons New Testament Commentary, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2019.
- Carolyn Sharp, The Prophetic Literature (Core Biblical Studies), Abingdon Press, 2019.
For more information about the Academy, please go to our website at www.apclergy.org.