Below is a repost of Eerdmans All Over: May 20, 2016. You can find more information about authors and books on EerdWord blog site.
Welcome once again to Eerdmans All Over, a Friday roundup of all the Eerdmans-related news, reviews, interviews, and other interesting online content we can gather in a given week.
A Shorter Guide to the Holy Spirit: Bible, Doctrine, Experience
By Anthony C. Thiselton
Ecce Homo: On the Divine Unity of Christ
by Aaron Riches
Jesus as Healer: A Gospel for the Body
By Jan-Olav Henriksen & Karl Olav Sandnes
A Theology of Grace in Six Controversies
By Edward T. Oakes, SJ
News from Eerdmans . . .
- We’re hiring! See our job posting for amanaging editor on eerdmans.com
. . . and Elsewhere
- Christianity Today posted an excerpt from How to Survive the Apocalypse titled “The Myth of the Secular Apocalypse.” The book was also reviewed by the Institute for Faith, Work, and Economics.
- The Crucifixion by Fleming Rutledge wasreviewed in the Weekly Standard by Barton Swaim, who says Rutledge takes up the difficult but edifying task of “letting writers of the first century tell us what they saw and heard about Jesus’ death without discounting or second-guessing them . . . and she has done it with insight and skill.”
- A Short Life of Jonathan Edwards wasreviewed on the Jonathan Edwards Studiesblog. Reviewer Matthew Everhard recommends the book as “an incomparable first introduction to the life of Edwards for laypersons,” as well as a good refresher for readers who have already read George Marsden’s larger biography. Everhard also offers this video review:
- Embracing the Other by Grace Ji-Sun Kim was reviewed in The Christian Centuryby April Yamasaki, who praises Kim’s vision as “compelling” and adds that she will “look forward to reading more from this prolific and creative theologian.”
- Kim’s book was also reviewed in The Presbyterian Outlook and was included in anEnglewood Review of Books reading list titled “Diversifying Our Theology.”
- Kim herself authored a couple of recent articles, one on Time‘s Motto blog about the “mommy wars,” and one on the HuffPost Greenblog about the lack of water justice.
- Marcia Pally, author of Commonwealth and Covenant, was interviewed on the Matt Townsend Show.
- Jack Levison, author of Inspired: The Holy Spirit and the Mind of Faith, published an article inThe Presbyterian Outlook titled
“Who Is the Holy Spirit?“
- Envisioning the Congregation, Practicing the Gospel and The Mediation of the Spirit were both reviewed in the Journal of Contemporary Ministry.
- Old Testament Pseudepigrapha was reviewed by Caleb Friedeman on For Christ and His Kingdom, a blog by PhD students at Wheaton College.
Have we missed any news, reviews, or other online miscellany dealing with Eerdmans books or authors from the last week? Please let us know in the comments. You also can post items on our Facebook timeline, mention us on Twitter (@eerdmansbooks), or write to us directly: email@example.com.